User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: gear suggestions

gear suggestions

ayo.. first post here, thought id actually ask somethin that i need to know.
    i currently use a samson co1u condenser and adobe audition 2 to record.. but i get a pretty muddy/hissy sound that i cant get rid of.

my soundcard also sucks, so i was wondering if i could get some suggestions for some gear that i could get a CLEAR sound with.

microphone?
    compressor/preamp?
    soundcard?
    phones/monitors?

anythin else i might have missed? would be hugely appreciated cause im tryna get a decent sounding demo done. 1

Re: gear suggestions

oh yeah, i've also read the stickied posts for suggestions, id just like some wider suggetions from all you who record. 1

I see you lookin.. stupid Brandon Heat's Avatar
    Awards 25+ Wins

good... what is your budget..?

honestly... it's easier to find a studio and pay for studio time but we'll help you as much as we can
    AlieNation
    ..GrindHouse..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

we see you Cock-A-Roaches looking...

Coming Soon

home
    Battle Record
    61-19

This is what i use:

Rode NT1a
    Emu 0404 usb
    I mix using my laptop stock soundcard tho, which sounds fine to me.

Mixing on Adobe Audition:
    Graphic Equliaser > 30band punch&sparkle
    Dynamics Processing > VocalComp, 8:1, -24, Fastattack
    Reverb > Vocal Nice Presence
    (and sometimes add an echo depending if it matches the beat)

After adding effects the vocals sound very uplifiting and bright which is what i try to aim for, kinda reminding me of kanye vocals on tracks like Can't tell me nothing. However, because i use that specific graphic equaliser, the sibilence from my raw vocals stand out very much so making the S's sound subtly harsh, so i usually end up using the eq section of the track, and set the Hi's to -4 or -5db, and boost up the Mid a lil' bit.

Thats basically what i do on a quick recording. This might be one of more sloppier mixing techniques so it might not be what you were looking for. But my equipment i know is quite decent and i do get warm sounding quiet raw vocals. However i still do plan on buying a more expensive condenser mic in the near future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (new track daily)

Battle Record
    5-3

lol@"subtly harsh"

budget is £700. about $1000? i'd prefer to do it in a studio, but i don't live near any, the closest is in london, and they charge like £75 an hour, can't afford that ish lol.

home
    Battle Record
    61-19

you live in london? i go to uni in Loughborough. I bought my equipment in the shop under Virgin Megastore in tottenham court road. all in all was around £240. should invest in decent monitor speakers as well. but with £700 you can get yourself with the hi-end range equipment.

(new track daily)

no, i live in bournemouth. £700 is the absolute max im willing to pay, because i really do want some decent equipment, but if its possible to get a mic, 'phones, soundcard, a preamp and monitors for under that... thats good ish.

Awards 25+ Wins

yea that's not a problem... around a 1000 isn't bad at all... you won't get much... but what you get will be good enough.
    AlieNation
    ..GrindHouse..

Coming Soon

thats pretty much what i thought. any suggestions for;

mic
    preamp
    soundcard
    monitors
    phones?

Awards 25+ Wins

yes...

headphones: sony mdr7506...

mic: audio technica 3035...

soundcard: maudio 410...

the remainder of the money spend on a good mic cable the highest you can afford... and pop filter stand etc...
    AlieNation
    ..GrindHouse..

Coming Soon

cool. already have a stand and popfilter, so money saved there. seems like decent equipment, and affordable.
    good looks on the suggestions mang, got some orders to put in. 1

Battle Record
    3-2

Quote Originally Posted by Contagion View Post
    budget is £700. about $1000? i'd prefer to do it in a studio, but i don't live near any, the closest is in london, and they charge like £75 an hour, can't afford that ish lol.
    Whoah... you aint chacked the exchange rate since 2000?
    £700 = about $1300

Battle Record
    6-0

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Heat View Post
    yes...

headphones: sony mdr7506...

mic: audio technica 3035...

soundcard: maudio 410...

the remainder of the money spend on a good mic cable the highest you can afford... and pop filter stand etc...
    In a cheap, lazy way, those phones can subsititute monitors in a small, small way? I mean I notice the dynamic range and the magnent, what chu think? I should say too for a broad, broad range I would assume they would smoke some say, desktop speakers out the water. Give me some opinions if you can on some low/mid priced monitors if you can please. I been using this boston accousitcs setup for a while, but they just crapped out on me. I tink I blew my 8 inch sub on it so I think its irreparable.
    Last edited by Possible; September 26th, 2007 at 05:27 PM