User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 16 to 30 of 34

Thread: Rode NT2 vs NT2A vs NT1000

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Re: Rode NT2 vs NT2A vs NT1000

The change isn't necessarily bad. It can be tho. That's why I recommend buying the mic used because change has most likely already occurred. That way, the sound of the mic when you first test it is more likely to be the sound of the mic later on. But each individual mic will sound different when they age. You can't just listen to any used mic and assume that all mics of that model number will sound like that when it ages. You have to listen to the actual mic you're buying and decide whether you like the sound or not. I wouldn't buy any used mics without hearing them first tho. There are a lot of factors that can make ANY mic sound like shit after being handled.

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

but, is there any chance if you use your rhode mic alot in time the battery will fuck the entire inside of the mic up and it wont work anymore?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

It takes years and years of use to completely kill the battery (like 25+ years). And it has nothing to do with Rode mics. Any cheap condenser mic is going to be an electret condenser.

btw... I don't know why I said FET before. If a condenser mic doesn't use a tube then it uses a FET transistor. Sorry for the misinformation.

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

iight i got you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    3-2

Word FET is a type of transformer or something? and its used in electret mics. I didnt know shit about em til I wrote an essay a few weeks back lol

I get what youre saying though Opey. Ill try and find some used Rodes locally but the only one Ive used is in college.... they have some of the shotgun overheads and the NT2A. The studio one of the bands Im working with rented out use all Shure, Neumann and AKG mics.
    Aslong as the mic sounds as accurate as Ill get for my money Im happy. It isnt like my pre-amp and A/D convertors are amazing. The mic will have a good cable and go into my 410 which will supply the phantom power. Oh yeh Opey I have a question. I have a D.I. box that I used for my bass a while back. So would I be best using something like this to supply the phantom power or does it make no difference? I realise Im not using an anolag mixing desk btw but just an idea/question lol

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

just rob a few from your college, ill buy 1 off you.

*blows kisses*

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

FET transistors are pretty much what we use in all analog and digital electronics. There are many different types of FET transistors. I'm not geeked out on this shit enough to know more than that. I did have to know it for school, but I promptly erased it from my memory. lol

Is your school using the NT5s? They're really nice for a lot of uses. We just bought a matched pair of those to use mainly for overheads in my project studio. I wish I could afford a matched pair of Neumann KM 184s tho. Those mics sound SO good.

But when you buy a mic, you aren't really looking for accuracy. No mic captures an accurate sound. You want a mic that compliments the sound that you're recording. You want a mic that is good at capturing the main frequencies of the sound (ie low end for bass), but at the same time you want to use mics that accent frequencies that the instrument doesn't project very well. A lot of times it's necessary to use a combination of mics to capture the sound that you want. For instance, one of the guys in my production team has a Martin acoustic guitar that is made of Hawaiian Koa. The wood provides a good amount of low end resonance but doesn't sound nearly as bright as an acoustic with a spruce top. So a mic with good low end combined with an extremely bright mic will capture that good low end sound and at the same time make the guitar sound brighter than it actually is. We use a Sennheiser 421 for the low end and one of the Rode NT5s for the brightness. This combo also gives you extra control over the guitar mix because you can add or subtract the highs and lows separately as needed in the overall mix.

And to answer your question, phantom power is phantom power. and DI boxes tend to be a little noisy. Not recommended.

Battle Record
    3-2

Quote Originally Posted by ...Opey... View Post
    FET transistors are pretty much what we use in all analog and digital electronics. There are many different types of FET transistors. I'm not geeked out on this shit enough to know more than that. I did have to know it for school, but I promptly erased it from my memory. lol

Is your school using the NT5s? They're really nice for a lot of uses. We just bought a matched pair of those to use mainly for overheads in my project studio. I wish I could afford a matched pair of Neumann KM 184s tho. Those mics sound SO good.

But when you buy a mic, you aren't really looking for accuracy. No mic captures an accurate sound. You want a mic that compliments the sound that you're recording. You want a mic that is good at capturing the main frequencies of the sound (ie low end for bass), but at the same time you want to use mics that accent frequencies that the instrument doesn't project very well. A lot of times it's necessary to use a combination of mics to capture the sound that you want. For instance, one of the guys in my production team has a Martin acoustic guitar that is made of Hawaiian Koa. The wood provides a good amount of low end resonance but doesn't sound nearly as bright as an acoustic with a spruce top. So a mic with good low end combined with an extremely bright mic will capture that good low end sound and at the same time make the guitar sound brighter than it actually is. We use a Sennheiser 421 for the low end and one of the Rode NT5s for the brightness. This combo also gives you extra control over the guitar mix because you can add or subtract the highs and lows separately as needed in the overall mix.

And to answer your question, phantom power is phantom power. and DI boxes tend to be a little noisy. Not recommended.
    Yeh... they have a NT2A, 4 NT5s and NT4. The only time I saw the NT4 was in my sound production theory class where we were talking about stereo micing at 90degrees from the soucres. And we used the NT5s as a spaced pair.

Word. I didnt mean accurate I sorta mean something that sounds correct... if theres a difference. I dont want it to replicate the signal but I want it to sound near enough what the sigal is. I want it to be clear though.... something that my SM57s can only do that so well but not as well as the vocal mic I want

Battle Record
    3-2

I tried out the NT2 and the NT2A. Both are very damn similar. The NT2 sounds different but not older or whatever. I quite like the 2A but fuckit... Im on budget lol.
    They had a matched pair of NT2s that they used as choir overheads. They sound the exact same - maybe because they got them within a few months of eachother. Thing is the people didnt actually wanna sell these, the wanna sell basically every other Rode mic they own so I cant get the ones I used.
    Ill see if others sound the same but dayum... when they tell me to test it like I know how to sing I tell them Im using it for acoustic guitar and they tell me to sing anyway LOL.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

They had a matched pair of NT2s that they used as choir overheads. They sound the exact same - maybe because they got them within a few months of eachother.
    or maybe because they're a matched pair lmao

and it's impossible to buy a matched pair a few months apart from each other. Matched pairs are sold together..as a matched pair lmao

and even if they were bought a few months apart... that would have no weight toward them sounding similar.

what about the NTK? or is it better to just spend the xtra dough on the K2?

(You should all check this out)

Battle Record
    3-2

Quote Originally Posted by ...Opey... View Post
    or maybe because they're a matched pair lmao

and it's impossible to buy a matched pair a few months apart from each other. Matched pairs are sold together..as a matched pair lmao

and even if they were bought a few months apart... that would have no weight toward them sounding similar.
    They were bought about 2 months apart. Originally used as a soloist recording mic they then bought another and used it for their live overheads

then it isn't a matched pair buuuuuuddy...

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

word. either way you don't know wtf you're saying. lmao

your school = worst music school ever

or

you= worst music student ever

you pick because i'm stumped.

i gotta be honest...is anyone even sure that he's really attending music school? i mean, no offense dude, but you ask alot of questions that even i know the answer to and i've never stepped foot NEAR a music school....