Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 79

Thread: Pre-Playoff/Season Wrap Up Mag

Battle Record
    40-7
    Awards OM HOF Golden Glove Champion LLL HOF 25+ Wins

Pre-Playoff/Season Wrap Up Mag

http://i54.tinypic.com/e71c13.png

Hello everyone, welcome to the playoffs! First off, thanks to everyone who participated during this season, including those who didn’t make the cut. You’re activity was crucial to the success of this league, we all hope to see you around for next season, ready to make a playoff run!

This playoff season is shaping up to be an interesting one, with lots of new and familiar faces. We have former season champ Brandon Cee in the number one seed after a dominant season, as well as former finalists Baron and Black. But their experience will be tested by a fresh crop of talent like SS newcomer and overall RB wunderkind Token, former regular season champs like myself and Malice, and current champ Gwapfather. And let’s not forget about impressive up-and-comers Bongkers, Marv and Vinzr. Everyone here has earned their stripes, and there are no gimme battles anymore. Be ready to bring your A-Game week in and week out, cuz the single-elimination tournament style of the playoffs makes every single match cutthroat. There are lots of dope matchups in store, so I hope you’re all as excited as I am!

http://i56.tinypic.com/29azhjb.png

-Just to get these out of the way, due dates are every Saturday at midnight HST. 24 hour extensions will be granted upon opponent approval, but that will be it, no further extensions will be allowed. I ask that you don’t overuse these extensions—they’re meant for extenuating circumstances, not common practice. When everyone uses them week in and week out, it slows down the tournament, so let’s keep it running smoothly and be as punctual as possible.

-New battles will be posted every Wednesday. This gives you 3 days to write, which should be ample time (and that’s coming from someone who generally writes slowly).

-Everyone will be required to give 3 votes each round. For every vote you don’t have, you will be deducted 2 votes from the next round. It’s stern, but it’s fair. You have 3 days of voting, I’m sure you can muster up one vote per day. We need people writing shit worth reading, as well as intelligent votes. You know the drill. Please vote on battles that aren’t being voted on, instead of making a battle go from 7-2 to 8-2.

-There will be a mercy rule at the mods discretion. Generally, if someone falls behind by 5 votes, we’ll close it, but there may be exceptions to it since we want to allow potential comebacks to happen as well.

[youtube]PrNI-mw7rsw[/youtube]
    Last edited by oatmeal; September 17th, 2011 at 11:47 PM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    40-7

Re: Pre-Playoff/Season Wrap Up Mag

http://i56.tinypic.com/v2v720.png
    by Trajik

1. Brandon Cee - Brandon's been the man to beat this season, with the best record in the league. I remember before the champ matches even started, he was almost the unofficial champ and everyone knew it. I expect to see him in the finals.

2. Token - Token has been the man behind the man this season, he had a brief time as champ, and the first of two writers to get a win over Brandon. He was in the only match nominated (successfully, I think) in legends.

3. Oatmeal - Oatmeal was the other half of that legendary champ match. Don't judge him by his regular season record, his only true loss came to Token in said match which came down to the wire. What you can judge by his record, however, is he's unreliable and likes to no show. Oats we all love you anyways.

4. Gwapfather - Gwapfather has improved immensely since he first joined this season. After his first match I expected him to be one of many writers to sign out after a few weeks, but to my surprise he blew up the rankings, had a close match with Brandon, which I think many people expected to be a gimme for Brandon, Gwap lost but he wasn't done, made a come back to meet Brandon again in a champ match and take the final champ match of the season.

5. Krytical - Krytical joined the season about half way through, he started the season with a meager 2-2 before facing and beating me. I'd like to think that his win over me turned him into the beast he is now.

6. Baron - Baron joined the season about half way through as well, and I tell ya, there should have been a lot more hype around this writer as I slept on him until he was in the contender match, in his fourth or fifth week.

7. Beta - Langy as I like to call him, came in and wore his heart on his sleeve more than most writers, showing a lack of patience and frustration when he had to wait three or four days for his opponent to drop, showing emotion when he lost. I think he's most known for his emotion in the chat room and his creativity in his writing.

8. Marvelous - Marvelous was one of my early favorite writers, with his rhyme scheme heavy style that didn't skip on the content. Early season before signing out, Marv seemed like a force, with losses to only those who've champed or been contenders, I'm still keeping my eye on him,

9. Malice - Malice loved to talk about psychedelics in the chat thread, I remember that, but his writing is usually top notch and pretty consistent. He's got good creative and well rounded writing skills.

10. Vinzr - Vinzr has been improving every week and the voters have been taking notice, back when we used to have mags, I remember Vinzr being dubbed a rookie to keep an eye out for. Brandons statement was correct as he's made it this far.

11. Mr. Black - Black has been hard for a new comer like me to judge this season as he's been quite inconsistent, and not in his writing. When he shows, he's absolutely stellar, the question usually is, will he show? Because if he does, you'll need all the luck you can get if you want to beat a writer of this caliber.

12. 143 - 143 is another writer dubbed in the early mags as a rookie to look out for. I'm glad to see him here, as most of his losses came to hardened vets, this poor guy drew the short string and got Brandon in week one. Maybe 143 can avenge that loss.

13. Nahlidge - Nahlidge is one of the best story tellers I've had the pleasure of reading during this season, his ranking definitely doesn't do him justice here as he could beat anyone on any week.

14. Euphoric - Euphoric is a writer I've come to think of as a little Nahlidge, they have very similar styles and he's a great writer who I've seen improve nicely since week one.

15. Bongkers - Bong is a man I didn't expect much from, I wasn't feeling his early verses, but I blinked and he was in a champ match, I started reading his verses again and damn, this is a damn good writer who shouldn't be slept on.

16. Trajik - Trajik probably owes a lot of money to someone for his placement here. He's been an underdog for every single one of his matches and never gets any love. [insert someone else blurb because I don't feel right talking about myself].

[youtube]fjNLQeohXew[/youtube]
    Last edited by oatmeal; September 17th, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Battle Record
    40-7

http://i51.tinypic.com/2rra3rc.png

1. Brandon Cee
    Mr. Consistent

Strengths: Brandon was about as consistent as you can get this season, dropping top-rate verses every week. His main strength is his proclivity for image-based narratives, bombarding the reader with vivid, meaningful imagery that reinforces his thoughtful honesty.

Weaknesses: Getting too deep into the rabbit hole. There were times where his imagery was so engulfing, that it seemed he lost himself while writing. It’s like he spent too much time enriching the peripheral scope of a painting and forgot about the horizon. Although this was a small dent in his armor, it did cost him a couple matches, and led to some close calls along the way.

Champ Factor: 90%. He has the skill and the experience to win it all, and it wouldn’t be a shock to anyone to see him do it again.

2. Token
    The Prodigy

Strengths: Versatility. Token has come back with a vengeance, champing just about everything there is to champ on RB. This is proof of his skill to adapt to any format, which will be a tall order for any opponent. His sharp wit helped him champ LLL, his poetic sensibilities helped him champ PS and Haiku, and his heartfelt storytelling helped him during his substantial run as SS champ.

Weaknesses: Inconsistent mechanics. By no means is Token a poor writer, but there aren’t many times where he’ll win based off of his sheer technical quality. In other words, he doesn’t “wow” you with his writing. Token thrived on writing great whole pieces, but seldom delivered single couplets that stood out on their own. This was most evident in his rubber match with Brandon, where he lost primarily due to his good-but-not-great writing.

Champ Factor: 90%. He’s one of two men to dethrone Brandon this season, and also put up a Legendary win against Oatmeal, so clearly he has the skill. Plus, he’s been on a roll on RB lately, so he’s another sure-bet to win it all.

3. Oatmeal
    The Other Guy

Strengths: Although Brandon and Token dominated the season, Oatmeal was another looming behemoth in SS. His strength is his unique approaches to topics as well as A-grade technical mastery, relying on intricate rhyme schemes, expansive vocab and unrelenting assonance. With his only non-no-show loss being a Legendary effort, Oats has been a tough customer all season long.

Weaknesses: Oats’ weakness is equal parts inexperience and over-complexity. In his only match against a top-tier opponent, he lost in an exciting, yet convincing fashion. Plus, he eked out some wins along the season where his concepts and angles were too dense to make sense of for many voters. Knowing your audience is key, and his un-user-friendly style can turn people away.

Champ Factor: 85%. He’s shown that he can hang with the top dogs, now he has to show that he can beat them. He’s one of the season favorites, but definitely has hurdles to jump along the way.

4. Gwapfather
    The Giant Slayer

Strengths: Gwap was one of 3 men to champ SS during the season, and one of only 2 to defeat number 1 seed Brandon. He’s got the goods. His strength this season has been his ability to take criticism and apply it positively to improve. In the beginning of his stint, he was beating solid competitors, but he wasn’t putting himself out there as a top-tier opponent. But as the savvy writer he is, he adapted accordingly and put himself in the position to champ the league, which he did in surprising fashion. He may have come from out of nowhere, but it looks like he’s here to stay.

Weaknesses: Gwap is still a bit of a wild card. We’ve seen him pull off an impressive upset, but we have yet to see if he can bring that caliber of writing consistently. His style is, in many ways, a jack-of-all-trades but master of none, where there is nothing he does poorly, but nothing you can say as his definitive strength. This could be his downfall in certain circumstances, where he could get stylistically outclassed.

Champ Factor: 75%. He closed the season as the champ, so he has a lot of momentum behind him, but we’ll see if that’s enough to carry him to the finish line.

5. Krytical
    The Question Mark

Strengths: Creativity. Throughout the season, Krytical was a breath of fresh air to the league, defying the technical norms that SS is known for. He was able to go outside the box with both his content and structure, while still maintaining an impressive quality. He’s a threat to anyone he faces.

Weaknesses: Creativity. Yes, his strength is also his weakness, as his willingness to experiment has led to poor results on a number of occasions. Though respect is always given to those willing to try new things, there is a lot of risk involved as well. He’s pulled off unexpected brilliance at times, while other times he’s floundered in nebulous mediocrity.

Champ Factor: 50%. When Krytical is on his game, he can wreck just about anyone in the league. The problem is, his unorthodox methods make him susceptible to losses as well, which doesn’t bode well in a format where perfection is required.

6. Baron
    The British Invader

Strengths: Experience and poetics. Baron has been to the big-show and come close to winning, meaning he not only has the skills to pay the bills, but he also knows what it takes to get there. He’s a Legendary poet, which gives him an edge over almost anyone else here insofar as his pure writing ability. He comes correct with intelligent approaches and connotative wording, giving him a shot to beat anyone on any given day.

Weaknesses: Simplicity. For all his talents, there are times when Baron settles for puzzlingly simple verses. Although his writing is typically intriguing and on-point, many times you finish his verse expecting more. It’s like he builds a sleek, shiny rocket ship, preps it for takeoff, and then abandons it for some coffee.

Champ Factor: 70%. Having come painstakingly close to champing last season, he should be more motivated than ever. When he’s on his game, there isn’t much you can do to stop him, the question lies in whether he’ll bring it for four straight weeks.

7. Beta
    Always Underestimated, Never Penetrated

Strengths: Like Gwap, Beta has been constantly improving throughout the season. When he first arrived, he seemed like another “here today, gone tomorrow” low to mid range writer, but he proved those notions wrong by stringing together a number of solid wins and close losses. He seems to elevate his game for tougher competition, and is rarely blown out, even by the best writers here. If you give him an inch, he’ll make you regret it.

Weaknesses: Though ever-improving, Beta is still fleshing out his style. He’s yet to come into his own as a writer, which can be problematic, especially in a year where the talent pool looks more like a shark tank.

Champ Factor: 50%. You can never count him out, and it’s scary to go up against him knowing that he’s almost certainly better than the week before. But he’s relatively untested and inexperienced, so he’s got a lot to prove.

8. Marvelous
    Don’t Sweat the Technique

Strengths: Rounding out the top half of the field is Marv, who’s audio-friendly writing gives him impeccable flow and rhythm. His style is so smooth, so refined that you can forget the content and get lost in the rhythmic sheen of his wording. When it comes to raw mechanics, Marv is one of the elite writers in SS. Just read one of his verses aloud, and you’ll rarely stumble or have to re-read a line.

Weaknesses: For all his technical brilliance, at times he can leave his content behind. He’s certainly capable of pulling at your heartstrings and delivering powerful pieces, but he often sacrifices his skill as a lyricist to maintain his impeccable flow. This has lead to awkward wording and forced rhyme schemes, as well as simplistic management of the topic.

Champ Factor: 60%. Marv is still growing as a writer, which is a scary thought. When he puts all the pieces together, he’s a monster. The problem is, he’s still finding all the right pieces, and sometimes he ends up punching them together to make them fit.

[youtube]hiQCLl7EUQw[/youtube]

9. Malice
    The Writer’s Writer

Strengths: Malice has one of the most unique styles on the net, blurring elements of reality and fantasy in a psychedelic vertigo that could make you fail a drug test just by reading his verse. Many new writers don’t catch onto the intricacies he brings to the table, but ask any of the vets and they’ll tell you he’s a force to reckon with. He steadily mindfucks readers until they intellectually orgasm, giving his pieces a compelling re-read factor.

Weaknesses: Malice has gone on record to say that his motivation has faltered at times, which is not hard to tell given his number of no-shows and underwhelming performances. At times, his writing can be sloppy, which robs the conceptual genius he’s capable of.

Champ Factor: 75%. There’s no question Malice has the talent to win, but his inconsistency to perform is a big blow to his chances. He’s entrenched himself amidst the who’s who in this year’s murderer’s row of competitors, but he’ll have to conquer his own underachieving demons to be the last one standing.

10. Vinzr
    Wait, I Thought He Sucked?

Strengths: With all due respect to Vinzr, when he first arrived on RB, he was far from the writer he is today. Most people saw him as an easy win, and his lack of experience verified that preconception. However, nobody has improved as steadily as Vinzr has, and he’s now a sleeper favorite in almost any match. Armed with sharp imagery and intricate detail, Vin is well on his way to being one of the elite topical writers on the site.

Weaknesses: Immature mechanical management. He can be very clunky with his words, killing any chance at flow he may have had. He also uses a great deal of basic rhyme schemes, punctuated by solitary, one-syllable end rhymes.

Champ Factor: 45%. Vinzr is good, and is capable of pulling off some upsets, but his writing ability is still far off from his concepts. This doesn’t bode well for him, given the number of people here who are exceptional in both areas. Needless to say, if he were to champ the season, it would require him to write at a level we’ve yet to see him achieve.

11. Mr. Black
    The Sleeping Giant

Strengths: There’s not much you can say about Black that hasn’t been said before. He’s earned a reputation as one of the best topical writers on the net, and for good reason. His writing is intelligent but accessible, emotional but sensible, academic but real. Mechanically, he’s about as good as it gets, seamlessly incorporating internal rhyme schemes and elaborate multis that span for great portions of his verse. He’s capable of intricately layered allegories as well as clever, down-the-pipe representations of reality, punctuated by a knack for stand-out individual bars.

Weaknesses: Whether it’s his motivation or inability to produce consistently, Black has been his own worst enemy. Very few writers can match his level of talent, but he’s consistently and frustratingly absent from matches. When you read his verses, it’s a wonder he hasn’t champed a season yet, but his tendency to no-show cripples his efforts.

Champ Factor: 90%. Generally speaking, when Black shows up, he wins. It’s really a matter of if he’ll show up or not.

12. 143
    The Verbal Photographer

Strengths: 143 has displayed a wide array of skills that make him a difficult test for anyone. His style is versatile, at times favoring a rhythm oriented structure, while other times favoring simpler mechanics to present a gritty, heart wrenching vignette. This versatility makes him hard to predict, but he’s always bringing vivid imagery to the table no matter what style he chooses to adopt.

Weaknesses: For all of his skills, 143 just can’t seem to put them together cohesively. His writing is often unfocused, causing the reader to lose interest midway through a verse. Like many image-based writers, he too can become dense in his descriptions, sacrificing the development of his piece for well-written exposition.

Champ Factor: 35%. If he can put it all together, 143 can be a problem. But at this stage in his SS career, he’s only shown glimpses of the talent he seems capable of. In any case, he’s not one to sleep on.

13. Nahlidge
    The Dark Horse

Strengths: Storytelling. Nah has given us some of the most original stories in all of SS this season, marked by an organic sense of self and reality. His work is startlingly human, connecting with readers who would otherwise have no association to the type of circumstance he’s writing about. Coupled with his audio-conscious sense of rhythm, Nahlidge is one of the best topical writers out there, flying under a lot of radars in the process.

Weaknesses: Wording. This may seem a peculiar diagnosis for someone with such a great written flow, but at times his wording is bland, choosing plot development and character description over interesting phrasing. His ability to create a fascinating story is undeniable, but if he were to weave those stories with powerful phrasing, he would be too good to go unnoticed any longer.

Champ Factor: 80%. Nahlidge is a beast, but he’ll have to come with 4 straight weeks of his best work ever to topple the tournament favorites.

14. Euphoric
    The Future

Strengths: For someone so young, Euphoric has shown a remarkable range of knowledge, equipping him with a vast arsenal of ideas at his disposal. Euphoric is intelligent and perceptive, capable of subject-matter that seems well beyond his years in its emotional earnestness, to the point that you forget that he’s still in high school.

Weaknesses: Inconsistency. Unlike others who have been inconsistent from week to week, Euphoric has a curious habit of shifting between exceptional segments of his verse to simplistic writing. If he were to write at his maximum level, there is no doubt he would be one of the top seeds in the playoffs. He’s not quite at the top of the pile yet, but you’ll definitely know when he is.

Champ Factor: 50%. If we can see him write steadily throughout an entire verse, he’ll have a legitimate shot at beating anyone. However, that has yet to be seen, and it seems unlikely for him to do so four weeks straight.

15. Bongkers
    How Was He an Alternate?

Strengths: Bongkers has been one of the most impressive debuts this season, making his way to a stone’s throw from champing. He has the foundation to become an SS mainstay, utilizing a unique style and a natural authority over words. His mechanics are slipshod at times, but he’s constantly improving upon his weaknesses and increasing his strengths. His style needs some polish, but he’s already good enough to give even the most battle-tested veteran a run for his money.

Weaknesses: As was mentioned above, his main weakness is putting the spitshine on his work. All the raw materials are there, they just need to be cleaned up. It appears that he could use some extra time before dropping, too, as some of his losses stemmed from rushing more than inability.

Champ Factor: 60%. I don’t expect him to start beating the big wigs yet, but I fully expect to see him make a decent run, leaving some unsuspecting favorites in his wake.

16. Trajik
    The Dope MC Next Door

Strengths: Trajik will be the first to tell you that he’s not the favorite in this tournament (or “favourite,” since he’s Canadian). But that self-awareness has allowed him to improve at a rapid rate, showing flashes of high-level skill. He has a knack for multis, which at times stretch for 4+ lines, an impressive feat by any measure.

Weaknesses: Trajik is still getting the feel of this format. Overall, he’s elevating, but his main weakness seems to be his predictable content. His rhyme schemes are getting there, but the meat of his verses are still fairly elementary.

Champ Factor: 25%. All due respect to Trajik, but it would be a Herculean effort for him to champ this, as it would require nonstop upsets, each one more unlikely than the next, en route to a win. But he has a great attitude and an ear for making good use of criticism, so who knows!

[youtube]IegQcXcSSZ0[/youtube]
    Last edited by oatmeal; September 17th, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Battle Record
    40-7

http://i56.tinypic.com/dnd21c.png

by Gwap

Brandon vs. Euphoric:

Brandon has come off a strong season with a record of 14-2 (best among active members this season), he proven week after week he is champion material and a true competitor for champing the playoffs. Brandon has already stated how much he wants to win this season (as we all do), I'm expecting him to put in some of his best efforts this season, which is saying a lot, as long as he took notes from poppa gwap, he'll be okay. Euphoric ended up 7-7 in the regular season, which doesn't really do his talent justice, he has the potential to win just about every battle he's in, it really comes down to him taking the time/effort to put up his best work, still a solid record considering all the talent in the league this year though. I'm gonna have to say Brandon will take this battle, due to him having a lot to prove this week, not only to the league but to himself after taking that beat down last week (hahaha), no but seriously, both are good writers, but I think Brandon will be a bit more hungry to win, Euphoric might have to take some chances with the flip he takes on the topic, and/or bring in some great rhyme schemes to keep up with Brandon's abilities.

Baron vs. Beta:

Baron ended his regular season with a 6-4 record, which also could be a better record due to things that tied him up through out the season, has been traveling/typing his pieces on his phone, was mistaken with the due dates last week which left him with a verse that wasn't up to par with his best, but I think we all know that when Baron is at his best, he's hard to beat. Beta has some a long ways from the beginning of the season, also with a 6-4 record. He has shown improvement from week to week, taking in all the feedback he has been given through out the season, showing that this league is not only a place to showcase your skills/work, but a place to grow on those skills and become even better at what you enjoy doing. The only thing this league can not take credit for is Beta's season long mental instabilities that has come with the satisfactions of being in this wonderful league, we got him on blood pressure pills, xanas, and zoloft though, so all has been good lately, we're just kind of waiting on those pills to mix poorly with too much liquor at some point haha, naw but all joking aside again.. I think Baron is going to win this, I think both will be just as hungry for the win and will put in the same effort, but I just feel Baron is just a better writer at this point, can't count Beta out but I'm going with Baron on this one.

Token vs. Nahlidge:

Token has taken a little break, due to getting his ass handed to him via Brandon M. Noodleman, naw naw just playin.. his last battle was a great match up with Brandon, but regardless Token took the last couple weeks off, as he had a good enough record to make playoffs and wanted to have a fresh mind set for the start of the playoffs, plus he was busy champing the rest of the website haha.. (he still cant kick a haiku though ha).. Token ended the regular season with the second best record (only other member with 2 losses and more then 8 battles, along with Brandon Cee), he has also shown to be just as big of a threat to be champ of the playoffs and has also champed through out the regular season, so is definitely one to watch for as we proceed. Nahlidge has kept some what of a low profile this season but has had some really nice pieces, he even beat that gwap guy (current ss champ), so you got to give him props just on that alone, he is someone that could make an upset if his opponent takes him lightly, he ended up with a 6-5 regular season record. This will be a very close match up, as long as both put in the time/effort, but I'm going with Token, he has had a couple weeks off and I think he'll be remotivated to write some of his best work, just as long as he doesn't overlook his opponent, this battle has the potential to be BOTW though.

Oatmeal vs. 143:

Oatmeal is another big name on campus haha.. he ended his regular season with a record of 9-4, he no showed a champ match with Brandon, but has shown he is well worth being a champ in this playoff season, he always brings original concepts and really makes his readers think, sometimes it makes it a hit or miss with the voters it seems, so you might see Oat pull off huge wins, or he could end up just getting beat out, but I don't see anyone blowing Oat away. 143 is similiar to Nahlidge in the fact he's kept a lower profile this season, but is another really good writer who can pull off a win, specially if you sleep on his talents, he goes by "mr vocabulary" and ended his regular season with a record of 9-7. I think Oat is going to take this one, but it will be another close match as most of these are, 143 would really need to come with a dope concept and bring it to its full potential to take the win, Oat is another one of the bigger names who really want to win this season, I just feel if both of these writers put their best in, Oat will edge it, maybe even slightly more then edge it, so many things can alter the outcome of the votes though, this just might be the dark horse BOTW.

Gwapfather vs. Mr.Black:

Well, I ended the regular season with a record of 8-4, including my last week win vs Brandon for the Champ match, started off slow with a 0-2 record, then going 8-2 my last 10 battles. After not writing topicals for a couple years, signing into this league has really got me back into it and I feel I'm writing better material then I ever have before, I started off my first match unaware of what exactly is looked for and needed to make a topical piece entertaining/interesting, as the first few weeks went by, I started to catch all these things due to good feedback in the league and have been consistantly dropping quality work, I always feel I'm growing as a writer/artist and take in everything I can from every battle, so I'm looking forward to battling Mr.Black, as we never have battled yet and he is another talent that is pushing me to do better then the last week. Mr.Black finished with a 9-7 regular season record, which doesn't do him much justice as a writer, is one of the favorites to win this season as well, his pieces are always consistantly good, but at times you can tell when he puts in the extra effort, and when he does that, he can beat just about anyone, depending on what his opponent comes up with, but there isn't a name he can't compete with, if he wasn't so ugly I might consider him like my son, too bad... but anyways haha.. I'm obviously not picking a winner here, but I do think this is the third battle with BOTW potential.

Bongkers vs. Vinzr:

Bong is another very talented writer, but is lazy as fuck lol.. he ended his regular season with a record of 6-5, another record that doesn't do him much justice as most of those are no show losses, I think only 2 are legit losses, even though a no show doesnt mean you would have won, I don't see him losing all three of those no shows. Bong has made it to a champ match with Brandon, where he lost but not by much, it was a close battle and he showed he also has the potential to go far in these playoffs, maybe even win it haha.. as long as he keeps Goodman & Steve and all those blacksmiths and surgeons out of his future work, he just might do some damage hahaha. Vinzr ended his regular season with a record of 9-7, he had ups and downs with his record, but his strong improvements through out the season got him some nice wins and a above .500 average. Vinzr has been one of the most improved along with Beta this season, so you just never know what to expect. I'm going to say Bong will win this one though, I just think Bong is on a slightly higher level writing still at this point, plus Bong is an alcoholic n I think these two have a bet, winner gets a case of Fosters? bwahaha

Krytical vs. Marvelous:

Krytical has had a nice season, ending his regular season with a record of 6-3, the week before he last he got himself to the Contender match (where he got in touch with his demonic/twisted side and showed us all just how fucked up he really is jp lol), so has shown he can make some moves in this league as well, he tends to take big chances on his concepts, which usually is a hit or miss for him, but he's not scared to take the risks to get the win. Marvelous ended his regular season with a record of 7-5, he's had some nice wins along the way as well, nobody really likes him in the league, and he's really not welcome here, but he's a nightmare, so what do you expect? jp lol.. I'm gonna have to say Krytical is going to edge this battle, and I mean EDGE it, both are good with concepts, I just think Krytical is a bit better at presenting the concept and really getting in depth with the concept.

Trajik vs. Malice 8-6

Trajik ended up with a 5-9 record in the regular season, but he just seems to get edged out in the losses he's had, it's not that he's getting blown out, he's progressed through out the season as well, getting his concepts a bit deeper, his wording a bit tighter, his vocabulary is usually pretty good as well, right now he's thinking of changing his name... to langston viewz, but we all told him that would be the gayest name ever, but thats besides the point lol. Malice ended his regular season with a record of 8-6, also another talented writer who has had some pieces I don't think got enough attention, but the league got a little bit slow for a couple weeks. Malice has shown to be a someone who can run with the best of them as well though, does a good job of tieing thing together with his concepts and really delivering his stories/ideas well when he puts the effort in. I'm going to give this match up to Malice, he's just shown to be more consistant and has also had more advanced writtens through out, but could be a very close battle still.

[youtube]44PD32pfW7E[/youtube]
    Last edited by oatmeal; September 17th, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Battle Record
    40-7

http://i56.tinypic.com/2uzwnbd.png

An Interview with Langston Viewz

oats: aite so Langston, let's start this off by addressing this recent name change. why did you do it? for the record I thought Langston Viewz was cool...

Beta: The recent name change has been long overdue....yeah, i liked Langston Viewz, but honestly i was tired of that name, been using it for some years on different boards. after i got here, nobody really knew me as LV so when i was seen as "not good" and slowly progressed through the SS League and now being recognized as a good topical writer....i just felt the need to move on from my "padawan" title and make the change to the next step, next level, and the name change made me feel like i'm going to have a fresh start with that.

oats: I'm pretty sure this was your first season in SS, tell us your thoughts on your experience: the good, the bad, and the other. anything you would have liked to see more of, less of, or done differently?

Beta: i loved the fact that everyone is here for the common purpose, which is elevating, and it shows every week. and i owe it to the people here for the progress that i've made, and i appreciate it greatly. i hate that there arent many votes across all battles, i'm partial to the blame and i admit. thats my only real complaint. the topics are normally hot and the talent is good so i can't complain.

oats: you've shown that you can compete with the big wigs of SS, but people have left you out of their final 4 predictions for the most part. why do you think that's the case? is it discouraging to see that, or is it motivation to prove them wrong?

Beta: i consider it more motivation to prove them wrong, its never a bad thing being considered the underdog because people may take you lightly...its better to be the upsetter than the one getting embarrassed. maybe its cuz its my first season that i'm not considered a top 4, no worries, things'll change...

oats: your first round opponent is Baron, who is a two time season finalist. what are your thoughts on being the underdog, and what is your opinion on him as an opponent? how do you see this battle unfolding?

Beta: hopefully i see me pulling off the win because i really would like to go against brandon....the better the challenge the more i come with it, so, its all love, i'm happy to go against anybody of a caliber such as baron's, b cee, yours or anyone for that matter...its like any given sunday around here...

oats: assuming you win this round, who are you personally on the lookout for in future rounds? who do you see as the finalists?

Beta: finalists??? shiiiid i hope my and gwap (his mom stinks) <please include in the interview! but yeah, if i dont make it i wanna see b cee and token...i dont remember the brackets off top and i'm bout to do an evolution at the bottom of the ship (FTN) but i'm after B.Cee!!! he's a target on my list for a while, really since i've joined...i aim for the top and he up there along with a few more on my hit list.

oats: any last comments, shout-outs, shit talk, do it here.

Beta: any shit talk??? yeah....fuck er'one who beat me, i'm coming back for you like the ghosts of christmas....(they calling me on the radios n j-dails so i'm out ya'll)....

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING! and screw you for nothing! :-p

[youtube]RyRB00Xe5-E[/youtube]
    Last edited by oatmeal; September 17th, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Battle Record
    40-7

http://i51.tinypic.com/mc85z5.png

It doesn’t seem like it’s been 16 weeks. So much has happened in my personal life since this season started, it’s crazy to think that this has been the same season. I remember signing up last season, champing the last week before playoffs, only to burn out and no-show in the second round against eventual champ Soulstice; SS marked the end of the road for my RB stay.
    But the fates wouldn’t let me go so easily, as my return to the site serendipitously aligned with the beginning of this season. I was hesitant to sign up, not knowing how long I would be active, and I took 2 quick no-show Ls to start the season off. I was certain I would go on another RB hiatus, but all that changed with a science lesson on magnetism I was planning for my class. In it, a student wanted to know “who would win” in a fight between magnets and gravity, and his imagination sparked mine. I almost certainly gave poor instruction afterward, as I was constantly scribbling down lines that would eventually become my first win of this season. From there, my mind never stopped rolling.

For all intents and purposes, this was my first SS season. I didn’t know what to expect, though the competitor in me figured I would go undefeated without a single vote against me in what would be known as the greatest SS run of all time. Surely the masses would gather around in celebration of my keyboard strikes, flocking from sites across the internet to bask in the greatness of Oatmeal. Pleasantly enough, I was dead wrong.

Not only was I far from the insurmountable force of topicals I made myself out to be, but there was a wealth of talent that was equally as exciting and humbling to read. I remember reading Black’s piece “Don’t Stop the Music” early on in the season, thoroughly jealous that I didn’t pen it myself. But that was just the tip of the iceberg. SS was inundated with talented newcomers like Bongkers and Marv, and later on Gwap and Krytical. Each of them has inspired me to continue pushing myself to elevate, partially out of fear that they’ll embarrass me in a format that I feel comfortable in, but mostly due to the sick shit they were able to pull off in their verses. Then there was Vinzr, a cat who used to be part of a ridiculous newbie crew I would clown on for fun when I first registered, who somehow became dope when I was away. Even Dagel, who I initially knew as the butt of endless RB jokes, came out swinging at the start of the season, dropping fire week after week. Put simply, there was no shortage of talent to keep me on my toes and inspire me.

But without a doubt, this season belonged to Brandon and Token. Combined, they champed the league 15 out of 16 weeks, including 3 epic showdowns. It was the narrative of the season—when would they battle each other next? Brandon came out the gate smashing everyone, until Token finally put an end to his reign. Token then went on a killing spree of his own, including a Legendary win over yours truly, marking my first official loss in SS. Ultimately, Brandon took the series 2-1, but if anything, it only set up a potential blockbuster playoff final.

So what’s the point, you ask? The point is, this has been a memorable season for me, and I’m truly grateful to have been a part of it. I know, I know, that sounds corny seeing as this is just a web site, but I genuinely believe SS is more meaningful than that. We’re a community, driven not only be our shared passion for writing, but also out of curiosity to explore ourselves. Each verse is a sliver of our identity, given flesh by the topics we chose, clothed in words that simply sound similar. Each week has been an exercise in self-discovery, through the connection to the pieces we wrote ourselves, as well as the connections we have found in the work of each other. It’s been an honor to go about this journey with the lot of you, and I look forward to more voyages in the upcoming weeks.

PS, no homo.

-Oats

[youtube]LGLKGW4e5JM[/youtube]
    Last edited by oatmeal; September 17th, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Battle Record
    40-7

http://i53.tinypic.com/wrni2u.png

by Brandon

Brandon Cee

Chasing Pavements

According to Oats and many other readers, this was the best verse I wrote through week 11 of the season and I personally believe it held up. Lyrically, this was probably the best I had written all season, but even more than that, it was conceptually strong all the way through and I personally consider this a memorable piece that could possibly be "legendary" - but not by my merit, obviously. Peep it, love it, let me know, lol.

Token

Behold the Critter...

I only titled this because he didn't give it a title lol, but this piece was mad fresh. Not only was this his title belt victory against me, but this piece was just conceptually strong and well thought out. Mechanically, not many people can put schemes together like Blacketh, Oats, and myself (not to act high and mighty) - but in this piece, I believe Token did that...and he swept the shit out of me with this drop. Very well done, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Oatmeal

Inspiration

This was another piece that was not titled, lazy bastards! Hah, but seriously, this got slept on mad when it came to voting and I felt like this was one of the best pieces Oats dropped on RB period, behind maybe that OM her dropped about science or biology or some shit, I can't remember at present, but this was just clever and well presented, he didn't leave anything to chance on his way to victory with this one. Great job.

Gwapfather

Mysterious Ways

The piece that put Gwapfather in the top 4 seeds. This guy truly brought his A game in order to champ the league in it's final week and got it done. The thing I really like about this drop is it's concept, it was super original in my eyes and I enjoyed the direction he took it - it just really went well together and like I said, he got the job done to become champ, so it's even memorable on that alone.

Vinzr

Doorways to Infinity

This was under-the-radar for Vinzr imho. I think this drop was easily his best of all season for me. This reads so fluidly and you can see that Vinzr's flow has really improved, just by checking out his rhyme scheme patterns, then and now. I like this drop, it really brought some attention to Vinzr for me, the dude is a beast waiting to emerge, and so I'll just go on ahead and call it now.

Malice

Alot Like Love||evoL ekiL tolA

This was very early on in this season, conceptually, Malice is always a beast, just has the mind for forming a topic and great images to go along with it. I think this showcases that, I love the subtle nuances throughout the piece that link back to the title and main idea of the piece, it's just very complete and he came raw with it, props!

Marvelous

Reflecting

I'm taking this one way back to week 3, Marvelous was one of the newer kids on the block, seemed to be trying to transition from audio over to SS style and he did it well on this drop. Nahlidge noted how ill his scheme was and even though he dropped with some weaker vocab, his transitions and main idea of the piece brought out something dope.

Krytical

Note to Self

This was his piece from the last week of the season and it was easily his best one since he's been here. The trademark of his work is always to make it difficult for the scheme to be seen, but it's there. It was such an emotional piece and it really showed the effort he put into it because you could feel the vibe the whole time, best piece he dropped this season by far, I dug that shit mad.

Cognition

Don't Stop The Music

This is currently/was nominated for legends and there's no reason it shouldn't be in there. This was so cleverly written and this was Blacketh in his truest form. From word choices to concept...this dude is the real deal when he gives us his full efforts and here, he proved that. I could not understand how dope this piece was and I actually convinced myself I was not impressed...only to come back to it and realize his sickness. I love this drop from him, peep it for sure!

Baron P

The Masks We Wear

As noted by the feedback I left in this battle, this was a concept full of fire, Baron dropped some nasty ass lines in this piece, some great metaphors and all the fixings - this was a complete drop that was only lost in the fact that Token dropped a better piece in this battle to stop Baron. I appreciated this drop, fluid in essence and structured well.

Langston

Sympathy

Langston has come so far from where he began when he joined like 9 or 10 weeks ago. This guy went off on this piece, you can really tell where his work has elevated, the concept was more detailed and the whole piece was cohesive in the end and it just made for an entertaining read, really dug this one, some strong lines sprinkled throughout. Good shit Langston, you've really come a long way dude.

Where's The Sun At?

This was my sleeper since week one when I battled him and this piece is the reason. I read this and instantly I just knew the talent he possessed, though he seemed to lack it some weeks, he really was impressive at times and this is one of those times. Token included that even though 143 was new, he was still a great writer. I agreed. Good shit 143.

Nahlidge

Break The Habit

The thing you always notice about Nahlidge's style is that it's very personality driven, his drops always have a vibe that only he can create and that's great. This drop is great because it's easily relatable, but it also has a lot of weight in the actual writing as well. This may or may not have been his best drop of the season, but I chose this as I actually remembered this verse from the regular season, so I must have dug this shit even though I didn't vote on it lol.

Euphoric

Monsters

This was a surprise victory for Euphoric, but not based on his opponent's drop, Euphoric was just much better with this drop. I really enjoyed the fact that he had so much going on and it still fit together at the end, it was conceptually his strongest piece and his rhyme schemes were better than he usually drops, I was impressed by this, from line 1, it was very image driven, dug that! Good shit from Euphoric here, for sure.

Bongkers

War Piece

Bong's champ match appearance was no disappointment, in fact, this was the second closest match I was in all season and this was props to Bongker's storytelling. This was so detailed and driven with imagery, that even I, as his opponent, couldn't help, but enjoy this drop. Probably one of my favorite verses of his on this site period, if not the best...shit was just fire to me, great way to tell this story Bongkers, this was epic shit right here man.

Trajik

Unknown Tragedy

By far, the single best piece by Trajik I've ever seen, league or not. This was a shorter type of piece, but the schemes were clean as hell, he's elevated so much since he first joined us this season. I really was entertained by this drop and he took advantage of the topic and made the concept his own, good work here, overall...nothing, but some great wording and a good idea. Dug it!

[youtube]JXBFG2vsyCM[/youtube]
    Last edited by oatmeal; September 17th, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Battle Record
    40-7

http://i56.tinypic.com/2rmqvjk.png

by Brandon

Best Voter
    Trajik, this dude has been here all season long and he put in his work on a level that only few could say they came close to and for that, I think he deserves this award.

Best Newcomer
    I assume that by newcomer, we're talking about SS newcomer, not newcomer to writing, so for that I'll have to go ahead and say Bongkers. The dude impressed me and made it to the champ match, he definitely proved himself.

Best Writer Who's Record Does NOT Reflect His Skill
    Simple answer, Blacketh. The dude is beast mode 99 percent of the time, but he's just kinda eased into the playoffs. I expect great things form him in the next few weeks, so prepare!

Most Improved
    I'm going to go with Langston here. Lang joined us later in the season, but from what he was dropping at the beginning to now, he really came up on his elevation tip, digging the progress.

Surprise(s) of the Season
    I was honestly surprised at Soul Slayer's horrible record, it's just not like him. I was also really surprised that Vinzr kept getting tough match after tough match and still somehow, he managed to make it to the playoffs. There were a lot of surprises this season though, in a good way I mean.

Best Writer
    I'm going to excuse myself from this category and go with Token. The only guy to beat me all season, well until week 16 (shout out to Gwap) - but Token proved all season that he had what it takes to win this league...and I hope I see him in the finals if I make it there. It's a rough road ahead, but I think as far as the regular season goes, he proved he was the BEST and RB voted for him in the RB awards as the best, so there it is. Props!

[youtube]iAfKc9x01_k&ob=av2e[/youtube]
    Last edited by oatmeal; September 17th, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Battle Record
    40-7

http://i51.tinypic.com/anlw93.png

That’s the end of the mag, people! I hope you enjoyed it, it made this 5 and a half hour flight go by quickly. My apologies that it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of graphics and whatnot, I know it's not the most aesthetic effort but I did my best. Much respect to everyone in SS, but much more respect to Brandon, Trajik and Gwap for their contributions. My hope is that this can some way motivate everyone not just to show up and vote, but to do so to the best of your abilities. I will be writing a mag for each round of the playoffs, though not as exhaustive as this one since this was getting stoned with 2 birds at once by wrapping up the season and previewing the playoffs. Again, thanks everyone, and good luck!

[youtube]4HQqPQtpWVs[/youtube]
    Last edited by oatmeal; September 17th, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Battle Record
    61-50
    Awards 50+ Wins

FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC mag man. Great job to all the people who put this together. It a great and enjoyable read and I really hope we can get top notch mags like these up in the future.

Btw, I can't believe I was 3-6 at one point in the season. That means I went on with a 6-1 run in the last 7 weeks.

Then there was Vinzr, a cat who used to be part of a ridiculous newbie crew I would clown on for fun when I first registered, who somehow became dope when I was away.
    I remember when I first joined and joined the crew, lol. I knew practically nothing about text battling or topicals. I first started off text battling and accidently ventured into the Open Mic section and then just started writing topicals but I'll admit, I wouldn't have been able to keep going without Knowp and everyone else who peeped my piece and gave me the feedback and confidence to keep improving.

Anyways, enough of that. Thanks for the great mag guys.

-Marvelous-
    Battle Record
    58-10
    Awards Legendary Member LLL Champion GFX HOF - Award Request Accepted SOTW ABL Champion FL HOF VBL Champion - VBL Champion AOTM AOTW FL Champion

Yo dead ass, this was fuckin dope! Haha good shitt!

Battle Record
    10-9

im infatuated

The Birth Of Creation

Storyteller | Cr@$h | JMS | Meth | Celph Taut | Messiah | Bstill | Fatal

Battle Record
    12-14

SS is more meaningful than that. We’re a community, driven not only be our shared passion for writing, but also out of curiosity to explore ourselves.
    ^this is what makes ss by far the best league i've ever been in. it has it's own personality and everyone takes pride in their work every week.
    this mag proves this, well done on the mag it's a beast of a mag and well done to everyone who competed thus far.

Battle Record
    64-17
    Awards Legendary Battle SAP Champion 1-2 Season Champion FL Champion LLL Champion Haiku Champion OM HOF Legendary Member LLL Season Champion PC HOF

great mag gentlemen
    The Last Level

Battle Record
    18-6

best mag i've seen so far, props