User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Dust Biters

Battle Record
    2-2
    Awards MOTM PC HOF

Dust Biters

You cross that man on that dirty street
    when did you decide, your eyes should never meet?
    You pretend not to see him, cause you really don’t care
    You know life's a bitch, but this bitch ain't fair
    You turn away your look
    Isn't it strange how you can't read, even an open book?
    You think he’s one big lie
    But unlike you, this old man, doesn’t need to falsify
    You cross that man, on that dirty street
    and leave your shadow of gloom
    He’s helpless and weak but still you keep, humming your happy tune
    You cross that dirty street with no man
    Suddenly your gut feels weak
    You start self-pity, you start the blame
    Your heart isn’t able to speak
    You could have done more
    You could have said more
    He needed more from you
    But just like him, in a twist of fate
    You’ve become a victim too

http://rapbattles.com/forum/showthre...oodsuckers-Zen
    http://rapbattles.com/forum/showthre...the-boy-memoir
    Last edited by Emily; September 15th, 2014 at 08:00 AM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    124-23
    Awards 100+ Wins OM HOF SOTW
    ATTENTION Emilyinthepool,

This automated notification is a friendly reminder for you to provide (2) links to other member submissions that you left adequate feedback to.

Add & Follow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ·

Battle Record
    2-2
    Awards MOTM PC HOF

Re: Dust Biters

posted wrong version. I'm trying not to say damn it.

Battle Record
    112-23
    Awards FL Tag Champion AOTW 100+ Wins SAP Champion FL Champion 1-2 Punch HW Champion LLL Season Champion LLL Champion OM HOF

^but you already did lol.. cool read btw.. a bit on the simple side tho, but it works for poetry. I don't know much about poetry other then some old ones I used to read and write when I was an emo teenager years ago lol but this seemed enjoyable. Loved the "homeless man" here today gone tomorrow angle of this, think it could have ended much better though with a bigger impact but still cool. would liked to have seen more in between the hook to not make it so redundant rather more familiar when you see the key phrase.
    カミノコトバ

Mindless Self-Engulfed In Moniker's Avatar
    Battle Record
    3-2
    Awards OFOTK Champion

I liked and disliked this at the same time. There were a few aspects that truly stood out, but the repetition nearly overshadowed them. I understand the point of the repetition and in many cases it can be useful, but this time it didn't make it as impactful IMO. There were some great original lines and my favorite were:

You know life's a bitch, but this bitch ain't fair

The ideas and contradictory wordplay is done well. I think technically, there's some tightening up that can be done. As far as arranging that second sentence I would've gone with "Isn't it strange, how you can't even read an open book?. It just puts the break in a different space and makes the rest of the idea flow better.

The overall theme of passing someone by, but then also coming to realize you get passed by too is potent and I think you tackled it well. Hadn't really read much from you yet but wanted to return the read. Keep it up.
    A ruthless
    of everything existing.
    Po'ethics
    abstanticollective.

You turn away your look
    ^Nice.

There were a few other lines in this that stood out to me as well, mainly towards the end, but that was my favorite. If I have to be honest, this was a bit of a downgrade from what I've seen from you before, but the ending was great. Especially the last line. Cool stuff guh.

Battle Record
    91-11
    Awards OFOTK Champion Haiku Champion Legendary PC Legendary Member PC HOF OM HOF 75+ Wins

This reminds me of the 'orange you glad i didn't say banana' knock knock joke.
    anyway, I think your wording is where you biggest need for improvement is. Just general
    structure and word choice, maybe even where you put commas and such. I wasn't
    the biggest fan of the repetition but I understand why you used it. Maybe just one less
    time or a new take on the same idea would have worked well.

"You know life's a bitch, but this bitch ain't fair" is a good line but it's been used to death
    in everything from mainstream rap to poems.

The idea/theme was good but the execution could use work. Wording was my biggest
    issue with this.

Edit: After reading this I want to clarify that I don't mean for this to come off completely
    negative. You have plenty of people telling you what you did right so I always try to
    tell writers how i think they can improve.
    Last edited by Laureate; September 18th, 2014 at 03:47 PM
    A few achievements here and there

the almost-anaphora of 'you cross that man' gives weight to the eventual switch, and progress of the piece, as the figure disappears to wrench guilt in the gut of the addressee. i get it. it's ok. i feel grammar is important in poetry, even used incorrectly is better than not at all. for two-thirds of your piece you mimic a nursery-rhythm which is very predictable and leans the esteem of the piece toward doggerel. you break from that habit, thankfully, and it saves you. as far as advice goes... i don't know. i understand this was very direct and focused on involvement or pull of essentially having more in common than you bargained for with someone you'd ignored -- but i would have been more interested if it, at least in parts, belied its ostensible meaning. become more inspired with your phrasing - say things unusually, if you like, don't force a robotic workmanlike phrase out - paint something with a flowery abstraction to colour our grey matter. or at least attempt to. the idea of the man not needed to 'falsify' could have been expanded. it suggests either a moral superiority or a greater knowledge of self, with little reason why he has that (wisdom, assuming he is older), or why our addressee lacks it (other than ignoring the man on the street) as i said, it was ok. there are so many devices you can play with. have fun.
    Last edited by English; September 29th, 2014 at 04:03 AM