I have been curating a playlist of odd-time rap songs. It has been ... difficult. The vast, vast majority of beats are in 4/4. For such a rhythm-central style, this seems odd to me. Sure, many have mastered the 3over4 samba, but that's just a variation of 4/4. It's neat, and has a lot to offer, sure, but it ain't the end of what could be.

Consider the "Mission: Impossible" theme song. Dun-dun-dundunDun-dun-dun-dun. That's in 5/4, and most people don't even realize it. Consider Dave Brubeck's "Take Five", the second most famous 5/4 groove. It ain't some janky 'well, we know math, and we gonna make weird rhythms 'cuz we can' sorta thing, but rather a butter smooth expression of emotion; which happens to be in 5/4.

There are nuances of emotion that can be only truly expressed in odd time. Well, that ain't exactly how I feel about it. There are nuances of expression, sure. 4/4 is more than capable of expressing that nuance. But, 5/4 or 7/8 might, and I stress, might be able to more adequately express that emotional content. The ultimate goal of art is to inspire an emotional response. In regard to music, who the hell cares if it's in common time or some weird odd time, and not common time? If it illicit's an emotional reaction, then it is true.

What is emotional truth, and how does it apply to rap and hip-hop? Wow, that don't really matter to you. Or maybe it does. Whatever. I curate a list of odd-time rap music because I feel that a medium which emphasizes rhythm should not shy away from odd rhythms. Odd time beats supply those odd rhythms. Does it ring true to you? Yes? Then use it. No? Then don't use it. My opinion is no more true then your opinion. If my opinion is "true" then your opinion must also be true. My opinion is that the rap and hip-hop community could use an injection of odd-time beats. Maybe you don't agree. Maybe you think everything is fine, or that 4/4 beats are great. That is as true as my opinion is true: Subjective, but not automatically dismissible. Personal truth is still truth.

Uh... We kinda went off on a philosophical tangent there, didn't we? I mean, I just wanted to promote my collection of odd-time beats on Soundcloud, as well as promote my playlist of rap songs that make use of odd-time beats on Youtube. Then we went all weird and existential and what not. Real talk: I haven't monetized nothin' of mine. It really is just an idea I have that I believe has some validity. If you are interested, well, here are two links:

and my own mediocre creations:
https://soundcloud.com/user-270814174-87500298/tracks