User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Netcees/Textcees.. Thoughts

Netcees/Textcees.. Thoughts

So, this will probably hurt some feelings but it's something I've been thinking about for a little bit and in light of this "healthy" discussion going on http://rapbattles.com/forum/showthre...ed-beyond-that

I've always wondered if people who are on forums like this one who only do text drops.. are they considered/do you consider them "rappers"?

back before I started recording I mainly stuck to producing but I had been known to drop the occasional text piece but I never really considered my self as a rapper/emcee.. but I've seen the term "netcee" or "textcee" thrown around here and there..

my thoughts on it is that I don't consider them rappers, maybe poets, because they're not really rapping, rather just writing.

And all the excuses about not being able to afford it and all that other stuff is nonsense, imo. You can get a Blue Snowball mic from Walmart for like 40 bux and Audacity is free, or you can pirate pretty much any DAW, and there is plethora of free videos on YouTube teaching how to mix. So I think it just comes down to either a lack of desire/care/want (some people just dont want to actually rap and are perfectly happy just writing rhymes for the fun of it) or a fear of not being any good/being laughed at/made fun of..

thoughts?

Battle Record
    13-5
    Awards Legendary Member Legendary Battle Legendary OM OM HOF

Re: Netcees/Textcees.. Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Nicktorious View Post
    So, this will probably hurt some feelings but it's something I've been thinking about for a little bit and in light of this "healthy" discussion going on http://rapbattles.com/forum/showthre...ed-beyond-that

I've always wondered if people who are on forums like this one who only do text drops.. are they considered/do you consider them "rappers"?

back before I started recording I mainly stuck to producing but I had been known to drop the occasional text piece but I never really considered my self as a rapper/emcee.. but I've seen the term "netcee" or "textcee" thrown around here and there..

my thoughts on it is that I don't consider them rappers, maybe poets, because they're not really rapping, rather just writing.

And all the excuses about not being able to afford it and all that other stuff is nonsense, imo. You can get a Blue Snowball mic from Walmart for like 40 bux and Audacity is free, or you can pirate pretty much any DAW, and there is plethora of free videos on YouTube teaching how to mix. So I think it just comes down to either a lack of desire/care/want (some people just dont want to actually rap and are perfectly happy just writing rhymes for the fun of it) or a fear of not being any good/being laughed at/made fun of..

thoughts?
    If you don't rap, you're not a rapper. If you just write, you're a writer. Nowadays you can pick up a phone and record yourself rapping if that is the only way you have to get yourself out at first.

A.i

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Click one of ^those to check out my music and shit

Cypher Sadist
    Battle Record
    37-15
    Awards AOTW 25+ Wins VBL Champion Legendary Member ABL Season Champion ABL Champion OM HOF

LOL. Do you even have to ask? If all you've ever done is text, then no, you're not a rapper. Writer? Sure. In my later years I've realized I prefer writing much more than I do actually rapping/recording. My passion for making tracks has waned, but writing is something I've always been inspired to do. Even to go off Broke's point, I completely agree with if all you've ever done is audio, and nothing outside of that? You're at best, a rapper.

A category I more than likely fall in, given the circumstances. But eh, there was a time I wanted to do something more with my music, but every time I take out my recording equipment and get a spark to do something I realize it's more of a novel nudge that quickly dissipates than the actual will to want to write/record a track.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CypherAlumni

Vincent | Sammy | Vallus | Dose Blotter | Onceawhile | Virbius | Bag Mandela | Celph Taut

Since I only write lyrics I prefer the term lyricist over writer.

Battle Record
    3-1
    Awards AOTW AOTM MOTM SS HW Champion Legendary Member OM HOF SS Season Champion

All i know is that I'm a world renown netcee. RB cannot handle the bandwidth required to support my fanbase flocking in to read and leave likes on my writtens. I usually turn down at least a dozen offers to ghost write from commercial artists such as Chanel West Coast, Iggy Izalea, Lil Pump, and Kreayshawn. I am a legit millionaire, so my online endeavors as a textcee has been very lucrative and I have achieved great heights in life. Most notably my OM Hall Of Fame Status pretty much immortalizes my on and offline presence. I could go commercial. . . but i just feel the rap game is not ready for me to completely shatter its entire landscape and set the world on fire. It would be a selfish thing for me to do. Seriously, minds would actually blow if someone actually tried to endure a rap video of me texting up a verse on a computer. It would lead to lawsuits and i just dont want peoples heads exploding on my conscious.

what was this thread about again?

An armed man is a citizen,
    An unarmed man is a victim

Battle Record
    0-100

Quote Originally Posted by Ragian View Post
    Since I only write lyrics I prefer the term lyricist over writer.
    Lyricists is not just a writer, IMO.

It's a jack of all trades. Poetic, story teller as in topical, can write a diss at someone along with just the basic verse. Pac was a lyricist because he could do it all. From story telling, to hood tracks and poems.

That's a lyricists, to me at least.
    Name Br&nd

Another Netcees thread?

Ugh

Stranger

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Light View Post
    All i know is that I'm a world renown netcee. RB cannot handle the bandwidth required to support my fanbase flocking in to read and leave likes on my writtens. I usually turn down at least a dozen offers to ghost write from commercial artists such as Chanel West Coast, Iggy Izalea, Lil Pump, and Kreayshawn. I am a legit millionaire, so my online endeavors as a textcee has been very lucrative and I have achieved great heights in life. Most notably my OM Hall Of Fame Status pretty much immortalizes my on and offline presence. I could go commercial. . . but i just feel the rap game is not ready for me to completely shatter its entire landscape and set the world on fire. It would be a selfish thing for me to do. Seriously, minds would actually blow if someone actually tried to endure a rap video of me texting up a verse on a computer. It would lead to lawsuits and i just dont want peoples heads exploding on my conscious.

what was this thread about again?
    RB can't handle the bandwith required to run a shoutbox!

Battle Record
    3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    RB can't handle the bandwith required to run a shoutbox!
    what host site are they using?

if you only do text... you are not a rapper.

now if you can't afford equipment/studio time to record your music... or simply don't have the space to have your own set up in a realistic way that would provide quality sounding recordings... then I completely understand... however.. still can't be considered a rapper..

now if that person can't record.. and can only get their stuff out online via written text... but does shows and cyphers... etc.. they would be considered a rapper...

at that same token.. all you would have to do is record yourself with an iPhone video and perform remixes/freeverses live to post on YouTube or social media and escape the whole dilemma as to what you would be labeled... if you can't afford a phone... then you probably cant even get online in the first place .. so that option is ruled out... unless they still have free internet access at public library's... then I guess if that is your only way online... then you could only express yourself via text...

but to circle back around...

Reflections is out now

Battle Record
    3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Logic View Post

now if you can't afford equipment/studio time to record your music... or simply don't have the space to have your own set up in a realistic way that would provide quality sounding recordings... then I completely understand... however.. still can't be considered a rapper..

now if that person can't record.. and can only get their stuff out online via written text... but does shows and cyphers... etc.. they would be considered a rapper...

at that same token.. all you would have to do is record yourself with an iPhone video and perform remixes/freeverses live to post on YouTube or social media and escape the whole dilemma as to what you would be labeled... if you can't afford a phone... then you probably cant even get online in the first place .. so that option is ruled out... unless they still have free internet access at public library's... then I guess if that is your only way online... then you could only express yourself via text...

but to circle back around...

o.k.

but what if you're like me. . and your text abilities supersede the skill levels of even the greatest rappers ever known?

see my dilemma?

my gift is my curse

Deep down you know the answer to your own question.

Reflections is out now