User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: theRAPy

Battle Record
    1-1

theRAPy

This is my first real attempt at writing/rapping:

https://soundcloud.com/natural-20/therapy

It's about how bipolar/mania manifests in my life and how I cope with it. Any feedback that y'all are willing to offer would be greatly appreciated. Be brutal...I'm happy with my product and not looking for validation or my ego to be stoked.

DAW tips are also greatly appreciated. I have little idea of what to do with my words after I record em. The EQ/compression/gain were basically button-mashed until my voice didn't make my ears bleed.

Thanks!

Re: theRAPy

Not bad for your first track. Seems like in some parts you tried stretching some words to fit with your rhyme pattern/flow scheme but in parts it comes off as a little cheesy/corny but the way you're rapping fits the style of the beat.

What mic are you using? Sounds like in some parts your voice is blown out, try taking a step back from the mic or turning your gain down on your interface if you're using an XLR mic.

As far as the mixing goes, the EQ could use some work, I hear a few problem spots but more importantly, work on your compressing. Some parts of your vocals and it sounds uneven. Use a compressor (or two) to even out the output of your vocals. What DAW are you using? you can send me the tracks if you want, and I can give it a better mix if you want. If you use FL Studio/Pro Tools you can send the session (upload to mediafire or dropbox) and I can send you the session back so you can look at what I did and use it for further reference on your other work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    1-1

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nicktorious View Post
    Not bad for your first track. Seems like in some parts you tried stretching some words to fit with your rhyme pattern/flow scheme but in parts it comes off as a little cheesy/corny but the way you're rapping fits the style of the beat.

What mic are you using? Sounds like in some parts your voice is blown out, try taking a step back from the mic or turning your gain down on your interface if you're using an XLR mic.

As far as the mixing goes, the EQ could use some work, I hear a few problem spots but more importantly, work on your compressing. Some parts of your vocals and it sounds uneven. Use a compressor (or two) to even out the output of your vocals. What DAW are you using? you can send me the tracks if you want, and I can give it a better mix if you want. If you use FL Studio/Pro Tools you can send the session (upload to mediafire or dropbox) and I can send you the session back so you can look at what I did and use it for further reference on your other work.
    Thanks Nicktorious, that's incredibly generous of you! I'd love to take you up on the offer...I'm using the free version of Reaper now (I'll probably buy a DAW after I get a few tracks under my belt and have an idea of which one suits me). I'm using a Samsun C01U pro as my mic and I likely do need to step back a bit from it...I'm super green, thanks for the tip.

The vocals are likely uneven due to shitty EQ and I went in an adjusted the gain of individual words so that they could either be heard or didn't break the speakers/headphones with feedback. Also...I admit I have no idea how to use a compressor. I think I want to re rap it...in the 1.5 months it took me to work inside the DAW I kept practicing and I think I'm better.

Drop me an email at natural20MC@gmail.com and let me know when you think you'll have time to fuck around with it. I'll try to get my vocals to you by then. Also...is there even a good way to get you the vocals if I'm not using FL Studio/Pro Tools?

is there even a good way to get you the vocals if I'm not using FL Studio/Pro Tools?
    the DAW that you're using doesn't actually matter, as long they have the essential plugins needed for mixing (EQ, compressor/limiter, reverb delay) which pretty much every DAW (free or paid) has. Are there "better" plug ins that you can buy? sure. But "better" is a relative term. You can get a great/pro sounding mix with stock plugins if you know what you're doing. you can go to Home Depot and buy the most expensive, bad ass hammer there is but it's not gonna do you any favors over your Grandpa's old hammer you have laying in your shed if you don't know how to hammer a nail into a board.

I prefer to use FL Studio and Pro Tools because FL Studio is what I learned on and Pro Tools is the industry standard so I decided to start learning how to work inside of it. It's all about whatever program you're most comfortable with. I recomend FL Studio because, to me, they have the most intuitive user interface and their mixing window/"board" is out of this world and extremely easy to use. Plus it is extremely popular and there are literally hundreds of thousands of youtube videos/tutorials for everything you'd want to learn and they also have a great community on their support forums. They also have a free version you can download, you can also pirate it, which I did for years.

I'll shoot you an email, and send me a dropbox or some other cloud upload link with a zipped file of the instrumental and all the acapella tracks. Preferably in .wav form.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, just upload to the cloud, and then shoot me an email link in the PM here on the forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    1-1

Ahh...I can't send PMs yet. If you don't mind, I have some questions...sorry for being so green:

1) Would you be able to provide screenshots for each of the plugin settings so that I might be able to duplicate the sound? I ask because I want to re rap the lyrics to "theRAPy", but I probably won't have time to do it for the next month or so because of work/family stuff (my apartment is noisy as fuck and I record after hours at work, but will be out of town). I figure, I could have you work on what's already recorded then possibly duplicate it myself after I re-rap it. What do you think?

2) I'm assuming that I should turn off all plugins for the acapella track I send you, yes? What about gain adjustments? In my track, there are probably 100 words that I cut and increased/decreased gain on so it could be heard/didn't break the speakers. I think a lot of that cut/gain work might be fixed with a proper EQ/compression.

3) Assuming I rap under the same conditions and my style doesn't change much, will the EQ change between songs? Is it purely based off my voice, so it will be constant in all of my songs?...assuming I'm going for a natural feel.

Thanks!

2) I'm assuming that I should turn off all plugins for the acapella track I send you, yes? What about gain adjustments? In my track, there are probably 100 words that I cut and increased/decreased gain on so it could be heard/didn't break the speakers. I think a lot of that cut/gain work might be fixed with a proper EQ/compression.

3) Assuming I rap under the same conditions and my style doesn't change much, will the EQ change between songs? Is it purely based off my voice, so it will be constant in all of my songs?...assuming I'm going for a natural feel.
    yes turn off all plugins, and anything else you did to adjust or alter the sound/dynamics of the vocals. and also set your fader for the track to 0. I'll need the acapella just as you recorded it with nothing added or taken away

and yes the eq will be different once you re-record the vocals. even if you record in the same space, tiny little changes/differences will effect how the track should be eqed. for instance you may stand a bit closer or further away from the mic. if you adjust the input gain of your mic/audio interface. If you add a new piece of furniture to your recording environment, if you have the mic sitting higher or lower than what you originally had it. Every tiny thing about how/where you record the vocals will have an impact on the EQ/compression decisions that the audio engineer or whoever is mixing the track will make.

Send me the acapella that you currently have for this song to nicktoriousmusic@gmail.com along with the instrumental. The easiest way would be to zip them, upload to dropbox, google drive, mediafire.. any cloud service really and then email me the link